ALAO Procedures Manual
To identify and nominate Ohio academic library staff members for appropriate recognition and awards.
- Identifies and nominates Ohio academic library staff members for appropriate recognition and awards
- Works with other ALAO units (interest groups, etc.) to coordinate the announcements of all ALAO awards and presentation of plagues or other forms of recognition.
Composed of the Past President (Chair), President and the Vice-President/President-Elect. Other ALAO members may be appointed to the committee, at the President's discretion.
Length of Term
Responsibilities terminate with the announcement of recognition and/or awards
Budget and Planning Committee
To draft a strategic plan for the organization every four years for adoption by the board; to review Chapter finances and the strategic plan annually, develop the annual budget, and make recommendations concerning Chapter finances to the Board.
- Drafts strategic plan for organization every four years.
- Reviews spending proposals from Chapter units; makes recommendations to the Board on funding specific expenditures.
- Reviews and revises the strategic plan annually; proposes to the Board any necessary changes in plan objectives.
- Reviews dues structure and other means for revenue enhancement; recommends to the Board changes when appropriate.
- Prepares annual budget as a proposal to the Board at the Annual Leadership Retreat.
Composed of the Treasurer (Chair), Membership Chair, Vice-President/President-Elect, Past President, one first year Board Member-at-Large and one second year Board Member-at-Large. Other ALAO members may be appointed to the committee, at the President's discretion. The Vice President/President-Elect may be excused from service if his or her duties as Program Chair are particularly demanding; the President may serve in that ex-officio position.
Communications Review Committee
To review the ALAO Newsletter, Web site and other regular forms of communication to members and the public (listserv, blogs, Facebook page, other social media outlets, etc.)
- Conducts a review of the ALAO Newsletter, Web site and other communication forms to members at least annually.
- Reports recommendations at the April meeting of the Executive Board.
Past President (Chair), Webmaster(s), Communications Editor, Membership Chair, Public Relations/Outreach Coordinator, one Board Member-at-Large, and others appointed by the President as needed.
Conference Planning Committee
See Program Committee
Conference Site Selection Committee
This group seeks out and identifies potential conference sites up to three years into the future, following guidelines approved by the Executive Board. The committee brings their recommendations to the Executive Board for approval.
- Locate the conference around the state if possible, with Columbus/central Ohio serving as the location in odd-numbered years (2007, 2009, 2011, etc.), alternating with sites in the Northeast, Southeast, Northwest, or Southwest areas.
- Select sites that can be used repeatedly on a cost-effective and reasonably budgeted basis.
- Consult with the Treasurer regarding budgetary constraints and any required pre-payments. 4. Maintain a database or spreadsheet of sites that have been reviewed, including information on specific location, capacity, and number of rooms, cost estimates, technology services provided, and other relevant variables. Also provide explanations of why certain sites have been rejected by the Program Committee.
Site Selection Criteria and Recommendations
- Dates of availability: Reserve conference sites for use between the second weekend in October and the second weekend in November.
- Capacity: the venue should accommodate a conference of 400-450 people, including: • one banquet room for the entire group • at least six rooms in close proximity for concurrent sessions • adequate space for 25-30 exhibitors and poster sessions
- Advanced costs: a large pre-payment is not desirable but is not sufficient cause for rejecting a possible site.
- Services available: Determine the cost and availability of internet access and technology support, as well as audiovisual equipment, tables, chairs, podiums, added electrical for vendor/exhibitor area, and other incidentals.; Get details on extra costs, and any requirements regarding multiple vendors for conference services.
- Parking: Easy access to 350 parking spaces is desirable, without added cost.
- Facilities: Consider the number and location of restrooms, food service availability and catering options, space for morning and afternoon refreshment breaks in close proximity to exhibitors and poster sessions, secure area for coats and/or raingear, cell phone and wireless internet access. A vegetarian option for lunch is necessary; fresh fruit and fare that features locally grown food is desirable.
- Hotel rooms: Determine the conference rate and any requirements for guaranteeing a certain number of rooms or adding more rooms at the conference rate after the initial negotiation. The number required can vary significantly from year to year, depending on pre-conference activities and length of the conference.
- Outside attractions: Investigate options for nearby shopping, restaurants, and other cultural and leisure activities.
- Labor: Ask for clarification regarding the use of union and non-union laborers and staff.
At least three and no more than five individuals, including: a former Program Committee member who serves as committee chair; a current member of the Executive Board, one member with computer/technology expertise, and the Past President, Ex Officio.
Length of Term
Two years, with the exception of the Immediate Past President who serves one year only.
Feb. 2008; Rev. May, June 2008
The purpose of the Diversity Committee is to address various aspects of human diversity, including ethnic and racial; gender and disability issues; international or cross-cultural issues; gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender issues; and age. This Committee serves as an advisory group to ALAO to assist the organization in providing leadership for diversity by acting as a bridge to promote understanding across racial and cultural lines and to help foster and sustain diversity throughout the organization.
- Plan, organize and hold educational programs and activities that may:
- Develop among Ohio academic library personnel a sensitivity and positive attitude toward human diversity.
- Encourage library personnel in Ohio to interact with other individuals and organizations that promote diversity.
- Encourage the incorporation of diversity concerns in all areas of Ohio library policy and practice.
- Develop and/or share recruitment and retention strategies to attract a diverse population to careers in Ohio libraries.
- Award the ALAO Diversity Scholarship annually to a qualified student enrolled in an ALA-accredited MLS program who exemplifies the qualities needed to ensure a diverse library workforce.
- Communicate regularly to the members of ALAO about activities and items of interest concerning diversity.
- Produce a diversity column for the ALAO Newsletter.
- Sponsor a program for each ALAO annual conference.
- Serve as a link between ALAO and other groups concerned with issues of diversity.
Past President, Public Relations Coordinator, and up to 5 ALAO members recruited by the Committee Chair and formally appointed by the President for 2 year staggered terms. In consultation with the Diversity Committee Chair, the ALAO President may appoint one or more members of the Diversity Committee to serve on the ALAO Program Committee. The Diversity Committee Chair also serves on the Nominating Committee.
Prepare a slate of candidates for elected positions on the Executive Board representing various geographic regions and all sectors of academic libraries. The committee is appointed by the President promptly after each annual meeting. The immediate Past-President chairs the committee.
- Committee Chair (Past President) calls Committee meetings or sets up conference calls as necessary.
- Solicits names for potential candidates, as necessary, from liaisons or other sources beyond committee members.
- Reviews suggested candidates with specific attention to: their potential; geographic area represented; categories of staff represented.
- Contacts final candidates to determine their willingness to serve after having forwarded copy of relevant office duties.
- Ensures that each candidate completes the online Candidate Information Form on the ALAO Web site.
- Arranges for ballots to be sent to the membership. Valid ballots will be those which are received or postmarked by the date indicated on the election announcement. Elections will be closed ten days after the indicated date.
- Ensures accurate counting of ballots.
- Reports election results to the President. In the event of a tie in an election, the Board will break the tie by a ballot considering the recommendation of the Nominating Committee. The President will make the final decision if the board vote is evenly split.
- Ensures those elected and not elected are officially notified of election results by the President.
- Ensures election results are included in the next Chapter newsletter.
- Ensures distribution of results to the ACRL Liaison and the newly elected board members for publication in appropriate media.
Membership and Length of Term
Past President (Chair), Diversity Committee Chairperson, and other members appointed by the President. Membership Chair serves in an advisory capacity. The President is strongly encouraged to appoint members who are not current board members to work on the Nominating Committee. Responsibilities terminate with reporting of election returns to the President.
Professional Development Committee
To promote continuing education and professional development activities among the membership.
- Identifies the continuing education and professional development needs of the membership and seeks ways to meet those needs.
- Fosters sharing of professional development opportunities among members and member institutions.
- Makes recommendations on financial support for professional development activities among the membership.
- Promotes ALAO within the membership and the library community through encouragement of professional development activities.
- Keeps the membership informed of committee activities and publicizes professional development opportunities on a timely basis.
- Administers awarding of registration vouchers to ALAO-sponsored events each year. (See Continuing Education Grant Program Procedures for specifics.)
- Administers awarding of scholarships that further professional development.
Membership will consist of Executive Board members at large, from which a committee chair will be selected from the second year members. Additional members may be appointed by the President from the membership at large.
To provide for continuing education opportunities for members, primarily as the Conference Planning Committee. See also: Checklist for Annual Conference Planning.
Specific Activities of the Committee Chair (Vice President/President Elect)
- Recommends to the President names of people for the Committee (President appoints members.)
- Initiates the planning for the fall conference; may delegate the coordination of the conference to a Program Committee member or another ALAO member as appropriate.
- Calls meetings or sets up conference calls or electronic meetings with committee members.
Specific Activities of the Committee
- Plans the annual conference and pre-conference workshops (as desired) as the Conference Planning Committee (CPC).
- Collaborates with other board members (Interest Group and Committee Chairs) to develop opportunities for continuing education activities for the membership in addition to the annual conference, and actively seeks to sponsor worthwhile continuing education activities.
- Assesses member continuing education needs periodically.
- Reviews annually and updates the written workshop procedures as necessary.
- Involves the Interest Group Coordinator in the process of selecting the annual conference theme, reviewing annual conference program proposals, and scheduling those sessions to optimize participation of all Interest Groups.
- Follows current Chapter workshop guidelines.
- Meets with incoming Program Committee.
- One member of the CPC serves on the Conference Site Selection Committee.
Length of Term
Two years; members recommended by the Vice President; appointments made by the President.
Research and Publications Committee
The Research and Publications Committee promotes research and publication by ALAO members by connecting them with available resources, and by facilitating inter-institutional research projects.
- Facilitates the development of members research skills.
- Keeps members informed of research funding opportunities.
- Improves the ability of members to find research partners and mentors.
- Offers an ALAO-sponsored research grant on an annual basis.
- Sponsors a biennial session on a research-related topic (such as grant writing, research design, human subjects protections, project management, publication process, etc.).
- Promotes member publications by announcing them in the newsletter and by including them in the online member bibliography.
- Maintains an online list of funding sources for library and information science research.
Committee members will serve staggered two-year terms with the option of one additional two-year term. Membership on the committee will be a maximum of seven and a minimum of five.