ALAO SCAig 2018 Meeting and Workshop
Description is People!: Sharing Descriptive Practices
Please join us for the ALAO Special Collections and Archives interest group (SCAig) annual meeting and workshop on Thursday, May 17, 2018.
- Morning meeting (9am-12:4pm): Thompson Library, Room 150A&B, The Ohio State University Libraries, 1858 Neil Avenue Mall, Columbus, Ohio 43210
- Afternoon workshop (1:30-5pm): Ohio History Center, 3rd floor Cardinal Classroom, 800 E. 17th Ave, Columbus, OH 43211 (in partnership with the Society of Ohio Archivists)
Continental breakfast and lunch are included in your registration.
Please note that registration for the afternoon workshop is now closed, as attendance has reached capacity. Registration for the morning meeting is still available.
Thompson Library, Room 150A&B, The Ohio State University Libraries
- 9:00-9:30 - Registration/Continental breakfast/Social
- 9:30-9:45 - Welcome/IG business
- 9:45-10:45 - Lightning round presentations
- 10:45-11:45 - Collection tours (registrants may attend 2 of 4 special collections department tours; a selection survey will be sent to all registrants once registration is received)
- 11:45-12:45 - Lunch
- 1:00-2:00 - Optional offsite collection tours (for those not attending afternoon workshop)
Finding Aids for the Future (in partnership with the Society of Ohio Archivists)
Ohio History Center, 3rd floor Cardinal Classroom
We’re partnering with the Society of Ohio Archivists this year to bring you a joint pre-SOA conference workshop!
- 1:30-2:00 - SOA/SCAig Registration/social
- 2:00-4:30 - Workshop (with break)
- 4:30-5:00 - Optional OHC stacks tour
Description: Using descriptive and technical standards for your finding aids will makes access to your collection better now, and into the future! Standards-compliant description can more easily migrate between systems and be shared in an increasingly linked open data environment. This workshop will assume familiarity with concepts of archival arrangement and description. Participants will learn:
Instructors: Building on her background as a cataloger, Morag Boyd is the Acquisitions and Discovery Strategist at The Ohio State University Libraries. Morag leads the acquisitions, electronic resources, and collection description functions. Cate Putirskis is the manager of the Special Collections Processing Program at Ohio State University Libraries, leading a team responsible for the arrangement, description, and collection maintenance of the archival holdings at OSUL.
Registration deadline for the morning session is May 11th.
Morning Meeting (limited to 40; registration includes a continental breakfast and lunch)
Registration for the morning meeting includes a continental breakfast and lunch. Dietary restrictions should be noted in the designated section of the registration form.
Directions to both the OSU Thompson Library and the Ohio History Center are accessible via the institutions’ websites:
Further directions and parking information will be emailed to all program attendees.
All questions concerning the ALAO-SCAig annual meeting and workshop, including accessibility requests, should be sent to the SCAig cochairs: