Technical, Electronic, and Digital Services Interest Group (TEDSIG)
About TEDSIGUpdated June 5, 2014
HISTORY: TEDSIG was founded in 1993 as the Technical Services Interest Group (TSIG). The interest group’s name and scope was changed in June 2007 to Technical, Electronic, and Digital Services Interest Group (TEDSIG) to better reflect the evolving status of the group’s constituents in traditional and emerging technologies. TEDS, a white teddy bear, is the official mascot of TEDSIG.
PURPOSE: To provide a forum for discussion and sharing information for ALAO members who are interested in Technical Services, electronic resources and systems, and digital services.
- Provide a forum for networking and discussion of technical, electronic and digital services (TEDS) related issues in acquisitions, cataloging, metadata, preservation, serials, electronic resources, systems, digital resources, and related technology;
- Support continuing education and professional development activities by providing and/or sponsoring TEDS programming at the annual ALAO Conference and at the annual TEDSIG Spring Workshop;
- Foster empowerment by reaching out and welcoming all levels of staff in academic libraries’ technical electronic, and digital service units, as well as those staff in the non-profit and private communities;
- Facilitate relationships with like-minded organizations to share best-practices and expertise among members;
- Promote the role of TEDS librarians and staff to build awareness of the value of TEDS services to the library and higher education community;
- Recognize and honor significant contributions by ALAO members to the technical, electronic and digital services fields by presenting an annual TEDDY award at the ALAO Conference.
- Provide mechanisms for sharing best practices and expertise, including discussion list, blog, and/or Interest Group page on ALAO website;
- Promote TEDS programming by fostering a call for conference proposal submissions and sponsoring a program at the annual ALAO Conference;
- Sponsor a Spring Workshop on an area of interest to technical, electronic and digital services librarians and staff;
- Promote and increase awareness of TEDSIG activities and member issues by regularly contributing to the ALAO newsletter;
- Select recipient of the annual TEDDY award;
- Identify at least one TEDSIG member to be appointed to the ALAO Conference Planning Committee (CPC) to represent TEDSIG. The Interest Group (IG) Coordinator may be designated to serve in this capacity.
Updated June 25, 2013
Aimee deChambeau (Term 2013-2015)
Head of Electronic Resources
University of Akron
Email: daimee [at] ukaron.edu
Sharon Purtee (Term 2012-2014)
Associate Senior Librarian
Health Sciences Library
University of Cincinnati
Email: Sharon.purtee [at] uc.edu
Co-Chairs serve overlapping terms and are selected annually in early spring.
TEDSIG Steering CommitteeUpdated July 11, 2011
- The primary responsibility of the ALAO TEDSIG Steering Committee is to increase opportunities for TEDS librarians and staff to participate in ALAO. This is accomplished through the delivery of member services such as program planning for the Spring Meeting and the Annual Conference, through the distribution of information of interest to technical services librarians and staff, and in other ways.
- The Steering Committee is comprised of the 2 Co-Chairs and any interested parties.
- TEDSIG Co-Chairs are elected by Steering Committee membership to two year terms, commencing in alternate years to facilitate overlap in leadership. TEDSIG Co-Chairs do not have to have previously served as Committee members, but it is recommended.
- Members of the TEDSIG Steering Committee will serve one year terms running from one ALAO Leadership Retreat in June to the next. If a Committee member does not contact one of the Co-Chairs to specifically resign from the Committee it will be assumed they wish to remain active for another year.
- Members are expected to attend at least one meeting per year. Meetings are held during the annual conference and at the Spring Meeting. Ad hoc meetings may be called at the discretion of the Co-Chairs to plan events or discuss topics of interest. All other communication will take place electronically.
- One Committee member will focus their activities on growing the ALAO TEDSIG membership and serve one year term as TEDSIG Membership Chair. Membership Chair may be reappointed by the Co-Chairs for successive years.
Updated March 1, 2010For news and updates on TEDSIG's activities, check out our blog at: